Been a Long Time Since I Rock and Rolled


Many of us lament the elements of our lives that are no longer possible following the arrival of babies – trips to the cinema, theatre, pub, hobbies given up, expensive activities re-prioritised.  Well, The Times They Are A-Changin’, or rather, as any new parent knows only too well, Mr Dylan, they have already changed beyond all recognition.  My husband and I used to be in a rock band before we became parents.  We used to call it our secret double life (now we call it our secret past life!)  The band was called ‘Action Replay’ and despite sounding like a cheese rock covers band we were an alternative heavy rock band.  We never became famous, mostly frequenting Birmingham’s “toilet circuit” as I used to call it (and I have got changed in a LOT of toilets over the years), but had a string of achievements that I am still proud of today, including an EP and album that is still available on iTunes.  We had the joy of playing to 2000 people at an open-air festival on a big stage with an inflatable hood, complete with laminated back-stage passes on lanyards (which were very Wayne’s World I can tell you!).
Sweaty post-gig photo (note backstage pass on lanyard!)
Even in the heyday people would find it hard to imagine me fronting this group and playing guitar (especially work colleagues).  I think nowadays people that meet me find the secret past life even harder to imagine.  This is because I have to admit to becoming a little bit mumsy in my appearance, as indeed is commensurate with my age!  This is right down to the regular wearing of the very same leggings that my mum used to wear when I was a child, and I swore I never would!  The sexy asymmetrical bob requiring daily styling was ditched firstly in favour of grown-out long hair that would shove easily into a ponytail, but proved far too easy to grab and be drooled on (or sicked on!), and then replaced with a plain shoulder-length bob which seems to withstand the ravages of the child better.

Many mummies also recognise the changes to their bodies following childbirth (I am always amused by the popular baby toiletries brand whose strapline is No More Tears with its unfortunate homonym in the context of childbirth!  Same word, same spelling, different meaning – just think about the word ‘tears’ for a second!).  For my part we had a lot of promotional photos taken in the band days when I was in better pre-mummy shape (although, let’s not discount breastfeeding-related weight loss – yay!)  When I look at those pictures I am mostly thinking to myself “Wow!  I used to have the TIME to look THAT good!”  These days I’m doing well if I manage to slap some lipstick on before leaving the house (and my handbag is the changing bag!).

Pre-baby Action Replay promo photo, when I had time to look good.
Needless to say, I have managed to rear a child that is into rock music (it is in his blood after all, not to mention all of the in utero conditioning he received!)  When he hears the good stuff, his reaction can only be described as nodding to the music (head banging!).  This is most likely to occur when he’s exposed to System of a Down (relatively hardcore) but he doesn’t discriminate and also enjoys the Foo Fighters (more mainstream) although he has also been observed ‘head banging’ to the Thomas and Friends theme music.

He has also developed a firm fondness for daddy’s drum kit, although to add to the amusement factor here he can’t quite manage to say ‘drums’.  What instead comes out is “BUM!”, or the even funnier “Papa BUM!” when he wants to play drums with daddy or tell someone that daddy plays drums.
"Papa BUM!"
So the other day I was on my way to the mummy and baby coffee morning that I volunteer at, and on finding a copy of Led Zeppelin IV in the car decided it would be a good initiation for the boy child, who responded by promptly falling asleep during the intro to Stairway to Heaven.  On posting about this on Facebook later that day (complete with photo of noddly baby) I was equally amused by a comment from my mum – “If you have a CD copy can I borrow it please?  I promise not to fall asleep to Stairway to Heaven.”  During the journey I found myself thinking, it’s been a long time since mummy rocked and rolled, remembering the days of the band.  (I won’t say anything about the little time left for rocking and rolling in the traditional sense experienced by many parents following the arrival of babies, due to their presence in the bedroom, and the fact of simply being too knackered!)

Stairway to the Land of Nod
Volunteering at the very same session I shared a bizarre obscure music appreciation moment with one of the library staff where the coffee morning takes place.  There I am filling up the giant water flasks from the kettles (as one does!) in the library office with one member of staff also present when a mobile phone goes off inside one of the coats hanging by the door.  On identifying the music in question I say: “Sounds like Pinky and Perky singing People are Strange”.  I should point out at this point that if you haven’t heard People Are Strange by The Doors then the following punchline is going to get lost somewhere between delivery and impact.  I would also like to point out that I am NOT old enough to remember Pinky and Perky, but my parents are!  The more current equivalent would be Alvin and the Chipmunks! 

The librarian responds by saying: “I wonder what Echo and the Bunnymen would have to say about that” to which I replied, “Or indeed…” and the at the same time we both say, “Jim Morrisson”.  I was more than impressed, and tickled by the randomness of the exchange.  I wonder whether the librarian also had a secret past life?  I took my flasks with me and went off to make the teas and coffees for the mummies.  At the end of the session my leggings would be embellished as usual with drool, banana and biscuit residue to complete my look. Rock on!

Aimee Flower is the founder of Cosycat Baby Gifts, a part-time translator, a full-time mummy of one (and cat mummy of three), and regularly volunteers with her local NCT branch.  Diary of a Mumpreneur is guest featured by Bump, Baby & You

Comments

  1. Brilliant!!!! So proud of you now and when you were a totally cool rock star!!! X

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Toddler TV – Driving You “(Down The Hills and) Round the Bend!”

The Pregnancy Productivity Axis